November is the month of giving; we have a day to give thanks, and even special days for retailers to give discounts with Black Friday and Cyber Monday. And thanks to the 92nd Street Y, a cultural center in New York, we have an annual day for giving back — #GivingTuesday.
Now in its fifth year, #GivingTuesday is celebrated the Tuesday following Thanksgiving, and was conceived to harness the power of social media to bring businesses, non-profit and community organizations, and individuals and families together to give back.
Get in on the giving
At Lakeland Bank we host a bank-wide food drive in November to support local food pantries and also roll out our Annual Share-A-Gift program. For Share-A-Gift, all of our Branches partner with a local charity to collect gifts for the holiday season. This is the perfect way to give back on #GivingTuesday! Stop by any branch to see what types of gifts are being collected and then drop off a donation on Tuesday, November 29.
If you can’t join us, here are some other ways to join the celebration:
- Contact a local non-profit to learn how you can help.
- If you don’t have extra funds to donate, volunteer your time and talent!
- Make a financial donation to a charity or cause that's important to you.
- Invite family members, friends, and co-workers to give with you.
- Ask your company to participate in a company-wide giving initiative.
- Use social media to promote #GivingTuesday and share photos of you giving back.