Oak Ridge, N.J.-- May 3, 2021—As more Americans resume their travel plans—beyond state lines or even to another country, Lakeland Bank and the Independent Community Bankers of America (ICBA) remind consumers that advanced planning can help alleviate travel-related stressors, maximizing your enjoyment regardless of how long or how far you venture.
“Most financial experts advise limiting the use of cash and planning for the unexpected—including trip delays, cancellations, and last-minute expenditures for greater peace of mind while traveling,” said Karen Garrera, EVP, Chief Retail Officer at Lakeland Bank. “Should you get into a financial situation while away and need assistance, Lakeland’s expert staff are willing to lend a helping hand.”
Lakeland Bank and ICBA urge consumers to consider these 10 tips before they depart on their next trip:
- Inform your community bank about travel plans to avoid account holds or transaction rejections when unusual transactions are presented for processing or posted.
- Ensure you have a chip-enabled card or contactless card, especially if traveling overseas where chip technology is primarily used for card acceptance.
- Carry multiple cards so you have a backup.
- Create transaction alerts for credit and debit cards. If you suspect your information has been compromised, contact your bank and credit card provider as soon as possible. For information about what to do in the event of a lost or stolen card, visit the Visa and Mastercard.
- Bring a list of emergency phone numbers and include contact information for your bank.
- Inquire about special card features like travel accident insurance and traveler’s assistance.
- Know the limits on how much you can withdraw and save your receipts.
- Choose an ATM or bank for currency purchases for fewer fees and an exact conversion rate.
- Check any ATMs that you use for signs of tampering. When in doubt, choose another terminal.
- Monitor financial transactions daily with digital banking services or as soon as you return home.
About Lakeland Bank
Lakeland Bank is the wholly-owned subsidiary of Lakeland Bancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ:LBAI), which has over $7.7 billion in total assets. With an extensive branch network and commercial lending centers throughout New Jersey and Highland Mills, N.Y., the Bank offers business and retail banking products and services. Business services include commercial loans and lines of credit, commercial real estate loans, loans for healthcare services, asset-based lending, equipment financing, small business loans and lines, and cash management services. Consumer services include online and mobile banking, home equity loans and lines, mortgage options and wealth management solutions. Lakeland is proud to be recognized as a Best-In-State Bank by Forbes and Statista, rated a 5-Star Bank by Bauer Financial and named one of New Jersey’s 50 Fastest Growing Companies by NJBIZ. Visit LakelandBank.com for more information.
The Independent Community Bankers of America creates and promotes an environment where community banks flourish. ICBA is dedicated exclusively to representing the interests of the community banking industry and its membership through effective advocacy, best-in-class education, and high-quality products and services.
With nearly 50,000 locations nationwide, community banks constitute 99 percent of all banks, employ more than 700,000 Americans and are the only physical banking presence in one in three U.S. counties. Holding more than $5 trillion in assets, over $4.4 trillion in deposits, and more than $3.4 trillion in loans to consumers, small businesses and the agricultural community, community banks channel local deposits into the Main Streets and neighborhoods they serve, spurring job creation, fostering innovation, and fueling their customers’ dreams in communities throughout America. For more information, visit ICBA’s website at www.icba.org.